1. Animaze announced 2016 program
Animaze 2016 announced their film selections. Over 160 shorts and features are part of the official selection. You can find more about the festival from “http://animazefestival.com/”.
Some highlights include:
- ROCK AND RULE (Canada, 1982), Canadian studio Nelvana’s first full-length animated film featuring Iggy Pop, Blondie, Cheap Trick, with writer/director Clive Smith in attendance.
- Canadian premiere of RQUACKERZ (Russia)
- LA FEMME: Female directors short film showcase from 11 countries
- HE(ART): Twelve films exploring visual art, creativity, representation and the human condition.
- ANIMAZE KIDS: A fun-filled Sunday afternoon of educational animation for kids 8-12.
- FullDome.pro’s 360° immersive Dome: They provide a 360° immersive experience. Dome films are below.
Samskara (15 mins, Android Jones)
ART UNIVERSE (18 mins, Likuid Art/FullDome Lab)
DINO PLANET (15 mins, FullDome Lab)
ROSETTA (23 mins, Kiev Planetarium/FullDome Lab)
Chiang Mai Deep Trip (5 mins, FullDome Lab)
2. Animation talents met at BRIDGING THE GAP 2016
The second edition of Bridging the Gap animation lab was held from 18th to 23rd July in Valencia, Spain. The fourteen participants were selected by the organization after an open call. They presented their projects of animated series or feature films in development. Participants’ countries include Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Philippines, France, Lithuania, United Kingdom and Syria addition to Spain. They attended masterclasses and consulting meetings by experts of the industry. They pitched their projects on the final day in front of the expert panel including distributors.
3. Corus and Toon Boom team up with OIAF for 40th Anniversary Pitch This! Competition
Corus Entertainment is offering a development deal for an animated TV series in addition to Toon Boom animation software to the winner of “Pitch THIS!” at the TAC (The Animation Conference), from 21st to 23rd September 2016. Every year TAC presents Pitch THIS!, a contest where two creators get the chance to pitch their new project to the TAC audience. This year ten pitches will be selected and the creators paired with a mentor who will help them develop their idea. All ten pitches will be presented on Wednesday 21st September during TAC, where each contestant has only ten minutes to impress a small committee of experts. From this group, two lucky candidates will be selected to present their idea at the official Pitch THIS! event on Thursday 22nd September to a panel of broadcasters and the entire audience at TAC that includes over 300 potential buyers and financiers within the industry.
Please find below for submission information: https://www.toonboom.com/news/ottawa-international-animation-festival-wants-you-pitch
4. Asian Animation Summit (AAS) 2016 dates and location announced
The fifth-annual Asian Animation Summit will take place in Brisbane, Australia from 22nd to 24th November. There will be presentations of new children’s TV/web series concepts from Australia, Korea, Malaysia, Thailand and elsewhere in Asia-Pacific. Presentations will be given by the projects’ creators and producers with assistance from high-profile mentors from the animation industry.