The Motion Picture Producers Association of Japan published the annual statistics of the 2015 Japanese film market in January 2016. According to the released figure, annual box office and cinema admissions showed an upward trend. The success of animated and live action films based on comics accounted for this increase, which is unique to the Japanese film market.
1. Annual box office and cinema admissions
Annual box office increased by 4.9% compared to the previous year and reached to 217.1 billion yen (approx. 1.9 billion USD) in 2015. Annual cinema admissions counted a total of 166 million, which is 3.4 % increase from the previous year.
2. Box office growth for foreign films
A total of 1,136 films were released in Japanese theatres in 2015. Among those, 581 films were Japanese films and 555 films were foreign films. The box office for foreign films was 96.7 billion yen (approx. 847 million USD), which was a significant growth compared to the previous year (+12.1 %), while the box office for Japanese films remained the same around 120.3 billion yen (approx. 1 billion USD).
3. Animated films occupy the top twenty films
Eleven animated films and two live action films based on comics ranked in the top twenty films for 2015.
Top 20 films for 2015 (Japanese yen)
1. Jurassic World: ¥9.53 bn
2. Big Hero 6: ¥9.18 bn
3. [Jp] Yo-kai Watch the Movie: It’s the Secret of Birth, Meow!: ¥7.8 bn
4. [Jp] The Boy and the Beast: ¥5.85 bn
5. Cinderella: ¥5.73 bn
6. Minions: ¥5.21 bn
7. Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation: ¥5.14 bn
8. [Jp] HERO: ¥4.67 bn
9. [Jp] Detective Conan: Sunflowers of Inferno: ¥4.48 bn
10. Inside Out: ¥4.04 bn
11. [Jp] Doraemon: Nobita’s Space Heroes: ¥3.93 bn
12. [Jp] Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’: ¥3.74 bn
13. Fast & Furious 7: ¥3.54 bn
14. [Jp] Attack on Titan: ¥3.25 bn
15. The Avengers: Age of Ultron: ¥3.21 bn
16. [Jp] Flying Colors: ¥2.84 bn
16. [Jp] Love Live! The School Idol Movie: ¥2.84 bn
17. [Jp] Assassination Classroom: ¥2.77 bn
18. Terminator Genisys: ¥2.74 bn
19. [Jp] BORUTO-NARUTO THE MOVIE-: ¥2.62 bn
20. [Jp] Pokémon the Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages: ¥2.61 bn
Note 1: Box office figures up to 31 December 2015 for Japan
Note 2: 1 USD=114.30 JPY (17 Feb 2016)
Note 3: Film titles with blue letters are animated films. Film titles with green letters are live action films based on comics.
Note 4: [Jp] indicates that it’s a Japanese film.
Motion Picture Producers Association of Japan, Inc (2016) Statistics of film market 2015. [Online] Available from:< http://www.eiren.org/toukei/>. [17 February 2016].